Writing and publishing the AZ Cardinals success story of “against all odds” is a privilege and an honor. As the ghostwriter and publisher of this improbable success story, we know the history of their achievements will be forever documented, and their action plan on how to do it right and not falter when things get rough will always be in place as a benchmark for the next unlikely fairytale team.
WHAT MAKES FOR A GOOD STORY?
- Some stories about sports teams are written to warm our hearts.
- Some stories that make the New York Times best seller list are written to get attention after a lifetime of hardship.
- Some stories are written after years of fighting the uphill battle in corporate America to promote a consulting business later in life.
The AZ Cardinals success story is being written for publication because it is about never giving up, about not losing sight of the goal, about never quitting before the miracle happens and about supporting, trusting and believing in yourself, your team and your leaders.
It is the story of team building and goal setting, camaraderie and good listening skills. It is a story of loyalty and the things we should learn before we publish our book such as helping each other when the going gets tough by supporting fellow writers.
WHAT IS THE BOOK THEY HAVE INSIDE THEIR LOCKER ROOM?
- “Shock the World – the AZ Cardinals Story”
- “Keep the Faith – the Kurt Warner philosophy for the AZ Cardinals”
- “Red Rocks – the Cardinals rumble in the desert”
- “We are the Champions – the AZ Cardinals and their improbable journey”
Which book title do you vote for as the one that needs to represent of the AZ Cardinals team? Remember:
- This team has a game plan and utilizes it to the fullest
- This team is on a mission and has a clear vision in sight
- This team has a sense of commitment even if nobody looks in their direction.
WHY IS THIS IDEA GOOD ENOUGH TO SUSTAIN A BOOK?
- The Cardinals get no respect but are spurred on to victory
- Showing writers how to stay focused on their ideas and team up with their editor to fight for what they believe in to get out their voice and remove themselves from the naysayers
- The Cardinals are seen as the underdogs and thrive in that position
- Giving writers the motivation to do the things they want to do with their writing regardless of how many times doubt enters regarding publishing a book
- With 62 years since winning a championship, the stars are aligned now for the biggest trophy to come home to them
- Motivating the writer to keep their eye on the prize of an award for their work when many challenges and obstacles stand in the way
- The Cardinals are going to the Super Bowl for the first time and it is their destiny, their fate, their turn and they know it
- Inspiring writers to pursue big dreams in writing no matter how long it takes and despite the negativity that is on the long road to the publisher’s house
- Many coaches share the AZ Cardinals journey but left before the miracle happened, allowing the coach that was meant to be here at this time to emerge
- Proving to any writer that the perfect match can be made with the strongest team coming together for the right synergy to finish your book
- Many good players moved on and opted out of loyalty and trust in the AZ Cardinals
- Which is why writers learn dedication and perseverance are the keys to getting the job done during long and lonely days of writing
- The fans’ broken hearts are mended and they believe in the promises of this team
- Which is what all writers seek to do when they finish their manuscript and “birth that baby” by giving it to a trusted editor to prepare it for the publishing process
- The fans who were not committed have come in to the fold and now the volume is turned way up for the world to hear
- Which can be our decision too if we have doubted ourselves and left our writing project behind for a long time to collect dust
- The fans who were not loyal have been forgiven and now have a chance to share in the glory days
- Just as any writer is forgiven for a bad first draft and a mediocre second draft it takes at least three drafts to make the work begin to sing and your voice known
- The transient community of the past is pulling together as one Arizona
- Just as the writer’s audience will come together once a platform is built and shows who the writer is and what they are about and that they believe in their work and their message
- The AZ Cardinals losses have faded into memory and the victories are even sweeter now that the stars shine on the field ever so brightly
- Just as the writer will experience the positive attitude that they have something important to contribute and that there are people out there that need to read their work
- The exceptional talent on this championship team has replaced the players who moved on before the sun rose in the desert and “we were raining men”
- Just as the writer’s talent will grow and flourish, development will occur further by pursuing the writing craft with each new day
HAS THIS IDEA EVER BEEN DONE BEFORE?
Developing old ideas with a new spin is what writing is all about and what publisher’s pursue. The idea of the improbable win and the unpredictable victory is a story line in many books. We have seen it with the Chicago Cubs and the Boston Red Sox. The AZ Cardinals success story will be one for the record books too. The story of Big Red is a winning attitude story that needs to be told and we’re making it happen.
They had so many obstacles to overcome, including the fans, the media, the competition and their own attitude. They do not get respect, even when they earn it, and that does not deter them from bonding together and doing their job well. This is a story of motivation. From this we learn that they are “the team nobody thought they were” and that they have staying power. Now it is an inspirational story by fine young men we can emulate and use for good measure.
They knew their chance would come, and like any good writer and would-be author, they ignored the skeptics who said they were losers and with a quarterback who was too old. They reinvented themselves like so many artists and musicians, and like a creative writer they tried many things. They never stopped believing in themselves which is what every writer needs to do as they progress from one project to the next reaching for new experiences.
WHAT IS THE MARKET (S) FOR THIS BOOK?
- There are Cardinals fans throughout the country because the franchise is one of the oldest in the country (secondary market)
- There are Cardinal fans in at least three major cities where they have moved the franchise – Phoenix, St. Louis and Chicago (primary market)
- There are football fans who love the underdog (audience on the fringe)
- There are those who love a motivational and inspiring story (niche)
- There are those who love a “good guys” finish first story (niche)
- There are those who believe in team building, camaraderie and family (niche)
- There are those who are faith based and appreciate a team with good people who give back to the community (niche)
WHAT IS THE THEME AND FOCUS OF THE BOOK?
(1) Could focus on the three team franchises in the three major cities they have represented where they have grown with each move
(2) Could focus on the 20 plus years they have been in Arizona and how they built up a fan base with a new stadium and a trip to the Super Bowl with a “never give up” theme
(3) Could focus on the 60 plus years since they have won a title with a persistence theme and a we will “overcome” mentality
(4) Could focus on the team’s attitude and goals, their underdog status that perpetuates a philosophy of we can do it, and their motivation to inspire theme
(5) Could focus on the behind the scene stories of how they came together as a team and developed into “good guys” with camaraderie on the field and in their locker room that should be emulated with a theme of the “new football” in the NFL
(6) Could focus on their improved work ethic that helps them execute better to achieve greatness with a theme of striving and thriving in adversity
WHAT ARE THE PIECES OF THE PUZZLE THAT WORK FOR THIS PUBLICATION?
- The second generation of ownership is at the helm innovating
- The coach is the leader with a new philosophy and attitude
- The teammates are comrades in arms on a mission
- The players are succeeding because they trust the coaches and believe in each other
- This is a team with talent and heart that has improved mentally
- This is a complete turnaround due to more confidence being instilled
- The no nonsense mode of operation has channeled their makeover
- Their main goal is to be in the zone while focusing on the job
- The players are out to help the new generation of ownership with loyalty for the big picture and what they came to do
- Their team leader’s faith and courage has sustained the team and by instilling faith
- Their other team leaders have been there for them are willing to give and share their vision too
- Talented players are stepping up in big games and reaching high
HOW CAN WE CRAFT A REALISTIC MARKETING PLAN?
- Glendale – the happiest place on earth has now replaced Disneyland
- Move over Disneyland
- The die-hard Cardinals are overcoming decades of futility
- Victory is in the cards, deal them in
- They played their cards right and held a full house
- Big Red has roared and the country is noticing
- The Arizona drought is over
- The drought is over, tears of joy rains down in the desert
- The second longest drought for a championship will be broken
- Tears of joy for long suffering fans quench the AZ desert
- Brilliant games, flawless execution, shows the heart of champions
- Overcome with emotion, tears of joy
- You have got to believe
- Savor the moment, this is what life is about
- Stunned, jubilant and grateful
- They stood up like men so the purity of the moment can never be taken away
- They busted the glass ceiling and soared into uncharted territory